Most injuries that occur in a car accident are physical. However, emotional damages can occur as well, and they should never be overlooked. In some cases, emotional trauma is compensable after a car crash, but it must be proven. Here’s how.
Signs of Emotional Distress
Emotional trauma after a car accident manifests in a variety of ways. The most common include:
- Fear of driving or riding in a car
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling guilty
- Anger and frustration
If a loved one was killed in the crash, the emotional distress you experience following the accident can be much more pronounced and longer lasting.
How to Prove Emotional Trauma in a Car Accident Claim
For the court to recognize emotional trauma and to be able to compensate the victim for their distress, there must be proof or documentation of the trauma. This can take the form of:
- Records of counseling received after the accident
- Records from your physician regarding your mental health after the accident
- Records of prescriptions you began taking or had altered after the accident, including medications for anxiety, depression, and insomnia
- Letters from co-workers or supervisors regarding your mental state and how it affects your ability to function at your job
- Letters from family and friends regarding changes in your emotional state and/or behaviors
With enough evidence showing that there was a marked change in your mental state after the accident and a clear representation of the emotional trauma you experienced, it is much more likely that a court will award compensation for emotional distress in addition to compensation for missed time from work, medical bills, vehicle damage, and more.
Contact a Car Crash Attorney Today
The most important thing you can do after an accident, other than getting medical care, is to consult with an experienced car accident attorney. At the Sarkisian Law Offices, we can investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident and help you gather the documentation needed to prove all your damages, including emotional damages. We will passionately advocate for you to get the full and fair compensation you deserve for the crash.
Call today for a consultation to discuss your case at 219-733-8904.