Neck injuries are perhaps one of the most common injuries following a car accident. Although neck injuries are typically not serious or life-threatening, they do present a number of daily challenges for victims. Here are several signs you suffered a neck injury after a car accident and how to get compensation for your medical expenses and suffering.
Neck Injury Symptoms
- Neck stiffness and pain. If, after a car accident, it’s uncomfortable to move your neck or you experience pain, you likely have whiplash.
- Neck pain that gets worse when you move your neck. If you have neck pain exacerbated by the movement of your neck muscles, whiplash is a likely cause.
- Headaches. Individuals who developed whiplash as a result of an accident may have headaches. Even if they had headaches before, these new whiplash-related headaches will occur more frequently after the crash. Most whiplash headaches start at the base of the skull.
- Unusual fatigue. A car crash is going to take it out of anyone, but if you’re experiencing unusual fatigue after the collision, beyond what you feel is just sleeping off a few bumps and bruises, you may have whiplash.
- Tinnitus. A ringing in the ears is often heard by people after a car accident when they have whiplash.
- Irritability and mood changes. Whiplash can cause mild to moderate changes in mood, including increased irritability. This can be challenging for family and friends of the victim, and can make working difficult.
- Numbness and tingling in extremities. Whiplash victims may experience tingling in their hands and feet, or numbness in their arms and legs.
When to Seek Medical Help
Always seek medical assistance after a car accident, even if you don’t feel hurt. Whiplash symptoms can be apparent right after the collision, or may take days or weeks to become noticeable. It’s important to be evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible after the accident to diagnose any medical problems and begin treatment.
At the Sarkisian Law Offices, we can help you determine if someone else was at fault for your accident and if they should be held legally liable for the damages you suffered as a result of the collision. If you experienced a neck injury after a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact us today for a free consultation by calling 219-733-8904 or 219-733-8904.