Taking action after a car crash with injuries

| Oct 20, 2020 | Firm News |

Dealing with the aftermath of an automobile accident effectively is a matter of thinking quickly and clearly, which can be difficult. Given the high risk of serious injury associated with car accidents, the very first thing you should do is check on your fellow passengers.

If you find that one of your passengers or a passenger in the other vehicle has sustained injury, you must act fast. According to Infinity Auto, you should stay at the scene, and call 911 for additional assistance.

Should I drive the injured person to the hospital?

No. The best thing to do is call 911 for assistance if necessary. It is possible that the injured person may not be able to travel in a car and requires the assistance of an ambulance. Additionally, leaving the scene of an accident if somebody has sustained injury may land you in a lot of legal trouble. It is better to stay put and wait for authorities to arrive at the scene.

Should I talk to the driver of the other car?

If somebody in the other car has sustained injury, it is OK to take charge and call 911 if you are the only one able to do so. However, do not speak about anything related directly to the car accident with the driver of the other car. It is better to make a police report instead and then contact your insurance. In the event that you or somebody in your car sustained an injury as a result of somebody else’s negligence, you may also wish to obtain legal counsel.